Deck Cleaning Reviews and Tips
Here is great video from one of our customers showing how to prep and apply a maintenance coat of stain.
Restore-a-Deck Wood Stains can be applied to damp or dry wood but is best applied to damp wood. Easier and will avoid potential Hot Sun Application Issues.
Hot Sun Stain Application Potential Issues
Before you start your wood stain project, ensure your temperature conditions are optimal for best results. The air temperature should be between 45 degrees F and 90 degrees F. Check the weather forecast and do not start the staining process if the temperature is expected to drop below 45 degrees or if rain is a possibility in the next 12 hours.
If applying the Restore-A-Deck Wood Stain in full sun we suggest that you apply to a damp deck. Either 1-2 hours after prep or if the wood is already dry, lightly mist the deck with water prior to applying. Make sure all standing water/puddles are gone before applying the RAD stain.
We are pleased to announce two new additives for the Top-Selling and Top-Rated Restore-A-Deck Stain Stripper!
These products work as additives for the Restore-A-Deck Stain Stripper and are not effective as standalone products. They work to help remove difficult to remove coating brands such as:
- Behr Semi-Transparent Acrylic (water-based) Stain
- Thompson Semi-Transparent Acrylic (water-based) Stain
- Super Deck Semi-Transparent Acrylic (water-based) Stain
- Most other Semi-Transparent and Semi-Solid Stains
Note: For best results, use the Restore-A-Deck Stain Stripper Booster Additive in conjunction with Restore-A-Deck Thickening Gel.
Restore-A-Deck Stain Stripper Booster Additive is a special blend of solvents that is added to premixed 5-Gallons of the Restore-A-Deck Stain Stripper. The Restore-A-Deck Stripper Booster will raise the effectiveness of the stain stripping up to 300% by helping to break down the surface tension of difficult to remove wood stain finishes.
This product works as a Booster additive for the Restore-A-Deck Stain Stripper. For even better results, use the Restore-A-Deck Stain Stripper Thickening Gel in conjunction with the Restore-A-Deck Stripper Booster. The Thickening Gel adds the ability to cling to vertical and horizontal surfaces for up to 1 hour.
Restore-A-Deck Booster should be used to increase effectiveness in stripping difficult to remove wood and deck stain coatings. Stripper Booster improves effectiveness on removal for most exterior wood and deck finishes including:
- Acrylic-based wood and deck coatings
- Oil-based wood and deck coatings
- Clear wood and deck sealers
- Transparent wood and deck stains
- Semi-transparent wood and deck stains
- Semi-solid exterior wood and deck stains
Restore-A-Deck Stain Stripper Thickening Gel is a special blend that is added to premixed 5-Gallons of the Restore-A-Deck Stain Stripper. With a longer dwell time, Restore-A-Deck Stripper Thickening Gel will raise the effectiveness of the stain stripping by adding the ability to cling to vertical and horizontal surfaces for up to 1 hour. Works especially well on improving the performance of the stripping on vertical wood such as wood railings, wood fences, and wood sided homes.
Restore-A-Deck Thickening Gel should be used to increased effectiveness in stripping difficult to remove wood and deck stain coatings. RAD Stripper Thickening Gel improves effectiveness on removal for most exterior wood and deck finishes including:
- Increased effectiveness for vertical surfaces such as railings, wood siding, log homes, and wood fences
- Longer dwell time for horizontal and decking surfaces
- Clings to wood for up to 1 hour
If you have any questions on these two additives, please ask below in our comment area.
When using Restore-A-Deck Solid Stain on the verticals or railings of a deck, you can create a two-toned deck that looks great and can ease the maintenance down the road.
There are several advantages to having Restore-A-Deck Solid Stain on your vertical wood or railings.
- The ability to color match the railings and vertical wood to blend with the color of the house.
- Solid stains on vertical wood/railings can last 2-3 times longer or up to 6 years with little to no maintenance. Note that solid stains will fail much quicker on horizontal flooring and can be harder to maintain.
- Choosing Restore-A-Deck Solid Stain for the verticals and Restore-A-Deck Semi-Transparent Stain for the horizontals will reduce the need for maintenance to every 2-3 years for the floors and every 4-6 years for the verticals
See this for more info on having a Restore-A-Deck Two-Toned Deck
Restore-A-Deck Two-Toned Wood Deck Staining
Have you ever considered doing a Two-Toned Wood Deck? Two-toned decks have become increasingly popular in the last few years due to ease of future maintenance and having a unique two-color approach. A two-toned deck would have the Restore-A-Deck Solid Stain on the vertical railings and spindles and the deck floor or horizontal is stained with the Restore-A-Deck Semi-Transparent Wood Stain.
There are several advantages to using the Restore-A-Deck Stains for a two-toned deck:
- The ability to blend the house paint color by choosing the Restore-A-Deck Solid Stain in one of the 5 pre-mixed colors.
- The deck floor can then be stained with the Restore-A-Deck Semi-Transparent Stain so it still has that natural wood appearance.
- The RAD Solid Stain on vertical wood can last 4-8 years with minor touchups and cleaning.
- The RAD Semi-Transparent Stain on flooring/horizontal wood can be cleaned and recoated as needed. Much easier for future maintenance.
- All RAD Wood Stains can be applied the same day as the prep!
A properly done Restore-A-Deck Wood Stained two-tone deck can really add appeal and value to your property while at the same time, easing the maintenance frequency and difficulty of restaining down the road.
If you have any questions on using the Restore-A-Deck Wood stains for a two-toned deck, please ask in the comment area below.
Restore-A-Deck 2019 Wood and Deck Restoration Contest Details
- All Restore-A-Deck Prep and Restore-A-Deck Wood Stain must be purchased first from this online eCommerce site (Restore-A-Deck.com) between January 1st - September 5th, 2019.
- The Restore-A-Deck 3-Step Process must be used.
- Deadline for entry is September 15th, 2019.
- The winners will be decided by September 30th, 2019 by our team.
Restore-A-Deck Semi-Transparent Wood Stain works very well for exotic hardwoods such as IPE, Mahogany, Tigerwood, etc. Restore-A-Deck wood stain’s long-lasting composition works hard to absorb quickly and penetrate deep into the hardwood grain to withstand the elements and stay true to its beautiful finish. Even with Restore-A-Deck Semi-Transparent Wood Stain, yearly maintenance is still necessary for exotic hardwoods. That’s just the nature of the beast when dealing with an Ipe/Hardwood decks. Maintenance can be done by lightly washing the deck with the Restore-A-Deck deck cleaner and allowing it to dry. A thin maintenance coat of the same color RAD deck stain can then be applied.
Before beginning the staining process, it is recommended that wood surfaces be prepped and staining. To prep wood surfaces that do not have a previous coating or doing a maintenance coat of the RAD Stain, use Restore-A-Deck Cleaner and Brightener. It’s concentrated powder formula is especially good at removing dirt, grime, mold, and mildew that is prone to showing up on wood surfaces. If a previous semi-transparent coating is on the wood of a different brand, use the RAD Stain Stripper and Wood Brightener. Note, the RAD stripper will not remove solid stains, over applied acrylics, etc. Sanding would be needed for these scenarios.
We understand that everyone needs help with their wood/deck restoration and that not all projects are the same. Different species of wood, the age of wood, and types and brands of previous coatings make it difficult for homeowners to determine what is needed to restore their exterior wood or deck correctly.
We will ask some specific questions and reply to what you will need to do in your restoration process and the appropriate products and amounts to purchase, so it receives the proper prep and treatment required.
In the comment section below, you must include:
- Square Footage of Area to be Restored:
-For Decks, use the calculator in the right column (scroll down) for desktop or below this article/comments on mobile
-Fences: Length x Height x 2 (for both sides) = Total square footage
-Homes: Do each side Lenght x Height, then add up all sides.
- Type of wood if known:
- Approximate Age of Wood:
- If Applicable, Previous Stain Brand Used and Type (Examples of Type: Transparent, Semi-Transparent, Solid Stain, Oil-Based, Water-Based):
- If Applicable, When was the last time wood was stained:
- Wood Type to be Stained (Deck, House, Fence, etc.):
- Do you have access to a pressure washer:
- Miscellaneous Info:
- *Must Include 1-3 Photos of Restoration Project. There is a link to upload photos in the bottom right corner of the comment area.
Restore A Deck Stain Application Tips
- Applying RAD Stain Wet on Wet Tips
- Restore-A-Deck Stain and New Wood
- Restore-A-Deck Stain Hot Sun Application
The RAD Wood Restoration Contest is closed!
First Place = $500 + 5 Gallon Pail of RAD Stain of your choice!
Second Place = $250 + 2.5 Gallons of RAD Stain of your choice!
Third Place = $100 + 1 Gallon of RAD Stain or 1 RAD Prep Kit of your choice!
Thanks to all the entered this year!
Restore-A-Deck 2018 Contest Details
- All Restore-A-Deck Prep and Restore-A-Deck Wood Stain must be purchased first from this online eCommerce site (Restore-A-Deck.com) between January 1st - September 5th, 2018.
- The Restore-A-Deck 3-Step Process must be used.
- Deadline for entry is September 15th, 2018.
- The winners will be decided on September 30th by our team.